Thursday, 3 July 2014

Dictionaries comparison: Is it Webster, Cambridge or Oxford?

I think the Webster dictionary is more suited for me as a user of dictionary compared to Cambridge and Oxford. This is because Webster's wording is more familiar to me and suits me better which is probably in American English. I have been trained in the school in the Philippines using American English and using Webster dictionary. Probably, my judgement will be different if I have been trained and educated using the British style.

I also find Webster's website as more complete than the two others in terms of providing examples, synonyms and antonyms. It even has a section which provides rhymes for the word your are searching which is very useful if you are writing lyrics of a song or a poem. The website of Cambridge is full of advertisement photos which annoy me because it distracts and divides my attention when looking at the meaning of the word I am searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment